Sunday 4 May 2014

Victory Knickers- for Land, Sea and Air!

 

Hurrah, Sew for Victory project: part one is done!

 
Who knew that a lot of work, angst, and a few tears here and there could produce such a silly pair of knickers, eh?
Oh and what troubles they have caused. Since the first moment these knickers have been called the 'disaster knickers'- everything to do with them seemed to be against me...I didn’t care much for the resizing (I had to lose 3 ½ inches in the waist) and I didn’t care much for the buttonholes either, but I must say that everything in between went swimmingly!  

I should warn you that there are rather a lot of photos to follow- 'tis the result of not keeping the blog up to date with my progress… sorry!
(I'll keep my witterings to the minimum to make up for the onslaught of snaps!)
 
♥♥♥
 
 
^ The Pattern....
 
 
 
Part of the design traced onto the fabric.- I took the images from period books and a couple came from original embroidery transfers too.  Then I had a jiggle around with the images on the knicker leg until I was happy with the design …

 
 
^ The first completed embroidered leg showing the whole design....
 
 
^ The finished set. Unfortunately I didn't have a dashing pilot to hand for the photos...
 
 
On Land! Little tanks make surprisingly cute trim for undies!

 
On Sea! Some battleships of the Senior Service....


And its in the Air!
It just wouldn't be complete without a Bomber and a chunky Hurricane!
 
 
I used a really simple (like me!) back stitch for the embroidery.
 
 
And I decided to hem each leg with vintage bias from the stash, and then hemmed by hand....
 
 
^ the faced waistband- I thought it was rather an odd way of doing the waistband, but hey, it turned out ok!
 
 
Don't mention the war... I mean, buttonholes!
They were such a pain in the posterior. The last thing I had to do and I only went and slipped with the scissors whilst unpicking the the top buttonhole. Yes, I now have an unwanted hole in my knickers! :(
 
 
The Brassiere....
 

^
Yes I'm rather pleased with my top stitching- quite enjoyed doing the bias bit!
 


 
And finally the fastening- My sewing machine didn't like sewing over all those layers and elastic, so don't look too closely! Also, I have just noticed something wrong and its going to niggle me now. Why didn't I notice the different directions of the folds in the elastic before, eh?

 
So there you are. I doubt very much that Bombers and Tanks are to everyone's taste for underwear decoration, but then again, they only have to appeal to me and I just loves 'em ;)
Actually, while I'm still on the subject of undies, last week or so (can't remember- the last few weeks seem like a blur!) I picked up some more parachute silk... perhaps more undies are in the pipeline?
 
 
Anyroad, I shall love you and leave you with a sneaky snap of my Sew for Victory dress!
I'll post a blog about that tomorrow...

TTFN,
Tickety x

 
 

17 comments:

  1. The knickers are very cute and your designs are interesting to say the least.I think it would be fun to have such a secret hidden beneath your skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Searching for right words...amazing, creative, fantastic! Just looooove these undies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They might have been an absolute swine to make, but they are absolutely fabulous!
    Well done, you should feel really pleased about them.
    I wouldn't worry about the elastic, but I know how you feel, had I made them it would have annoyed me, too,
    but honestly, it just looks like part of the design. Fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And as a small person with large boobs, I have spent my life yearning for the size that would fit a bra like that...goes off to gnash teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! They're amazing :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a friend who is mad about The Lancaster Bomber, she would love your decorative knickers. I hope that is now the end of disasters associated with them though :)
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I take off my hat!! It is amazing what you've achieved!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally love the set and your own personal spin for the embroidery and why not?! I must commend you on your exquisite hand stitching too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing undies and I love the embroidery...and all your stitchery in fact, everything is so neat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. By far my favorite Sew for Victory project! I love the embroidery on the knickers, absolutely delightful! :)
    -Emily

    Emily's Vintage Visions

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are such fun! I love the embroidery. I look forward to seeing your next project.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great embroidery. They look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, now I need to make underpants with tanks on them!

    ReplyDelete

Ta very much for your messages folks!

Tickety Boo Tupney xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...