I really can’t believe it, two things started and finished in the same year! Yes, I’m back again with my second Sew for Victory project…. The ∙∙∙ ─ dress.
To be honest, this project has been a little personal victory for me. I started out with great trepidation as I feared the pattern was beyond my dressmaking capabilities; but now, after finishing the dress with relative ease, I feel like I can take on anything I so desire…. well, to a degree! It has given me such a boost in confidence and a much needed one at that.
This pattern included top stitching, gathers, a placket and collar- all the things I hate doing, and I did ‘em all like a big girl!
Ohh, such pretty waist and hip details...
My first of four corners clipped, turned, pressed and tacked! I was so pleased with my efforts as i really didn't fancy the idea of all those corners and points at the beginning, but there will be no stopping me now! :)
The front of the corselet ready to be top stitched to the bodice....
The Finished Dress: Take One!
I say take one because I thought I had finished it and finished it I had! Everything was done- the collar, the placket, the belt, the hem- everything. All done. Then I went on my merry way outside to do the photos, came in, uploaded them to the computer and went…. “Well, well, well! What’s going on ‘ere then?” I suddenly noticed a load of ugly folds around the shoulder and neck. I looked like an American footballer with the way the bodice fitted or should that be, didn’t fit?!
The thought of having problems with an ill fitting bodice didn’t even cross my mind when sewing. I just thought Mammy had made all the necessary changes, but you never can tell- it’s those pesky sleeves and collar, I tell yee!
So, Mammy had to do a load more lifting and fiddling to add and take out the extra fabric in the bodice until the neck and shoulder once again fitted properly.
The Finished Dress: Take Two!
Such lovely shoulders....
The placket of pure pain. There was me, all content with my placket. Beautifully sewn and hand slip stitched into place ( I absolutely HATE doing plackets- I seem to have a mental block towards them)… turned it to the right side and what did I find? I had only gone and sewn the facing and under flap to the wrong sides! I felt such a divvy and a prize one a that! It’s funny, or not so funny really, how the first attempt went so smoothly in, yet everything that could go wrong did on the second attempt!
A close up of the fixed shirring...
And here's a load of me in it!
I’m absolutely thrilled with my new dress, but I’m a little annoyed with my choice of fabric. (honestly, what was I thinking!) In hindsight I should have used a lighter coloured and less patterned print as you lose all the lovely details on this print. I think the detail is going to be like my embroidered knickers- I’m the only one who knows its there! ;)
Not to worry though, as I have some very pretty plain blue fabric in the stash and so another dress of the same design is on the horizon...Watch this space!
All the best,
Your Tupney xxx